The purpose of the apprenticeship program is to provide uniform training for persons who desire to become skilled Journeymen with the Mechanical Insulation field.
The southern Wisconsin Heat & Frost Joint Apprenticeship Committee (JAC) oversees the 4 years program; it includes classroom theory as well as hands on training and on the job learning to become the best tradespersons in the industry. Apprentices are placed with contractors as needed. Contractors must adhere a 3 to 1 ratio of Journeyman to apprentice.
Applicants must be 18 years old or 17 with a high school diploma or equivalent, Diploma or Transcript required. Apprentices must have reliable transportation to work and school. The employer may require a valid driver's license and the ability to be insured as a condition of employment. Before a contract for apprenticeship can be provided, the applicant must pass a pre-employment drug screening at no cost to the applicant.
The current rate of pay is 50% of Journeyman wage. Pension, Annuity and Health insurance are also part of the apprentice package on top of the hourly wage.
Steps after Application for Apprenticeship
- Applications along with EEOC forms are accepted year round. Letters to test are mailed in January and July only.
- Qualified applicants will receive a letter to test for Accuplacer (consisting of reading comprehension, sentence and grammar skills, and arithmetic), normally at MATC in Milwaukee or Madison
- After passing the Accuplacer tests you will be mailed a "Letter of Introduction" along with a list of our training contractors that you may then contact.
- Apprentices will also be put on a list for the reference of Local 19's Member Contractors.
- Once all apprentices in the program are working, Local 19 will accept new applicants into the Apprenticeship Program
- We cannot predict when we can accept new applicants. Demand fluctuates with market conditions effecting employment opportunities
- OSHA 10
- First Aid
- CPR Asbestos Awareness
- Professional Code of Conduct
Phone: (262) 409-2801
Fax: (262) 548-9603
Local 19 Education Dept.
N27 W23155 Roundy Dr.
Pewaukee, WI 53072